The right quality is often defined as when the product satisfies the demands and expectations of the consumer.
We want to adapt the focus of this network to the product needs of Norwegian companies. We review various methods in sensory science and consumer understanding with practical exercises as a natural part of our teaching.
The results of quality controls carried out by expert panels often do not correspond to consumers' acceptance of a product. With the right focus, a company can save time and money and avoid spending resources on unnecessary precision. Through this network, Norwegian food producers will learn how to use sensory panels and how to identify which product properties that are most important to the consumer.
Examples of possible themes in the network:
- Finding the right person for a company's quality control or product profiling
- Training a sensory panel in relevant abilities
- Using PanelCheck as a quality control tool
- Consumer preferences and consumer acceptance
- Target group awareness
- Updating products in terms of taste/health benefits/environmental issues/financial issues
- Creative exercises to produce new ideas
- Mood Boards and consumer associations
The target group for this network is Norwegian food producers focusing on the development of new products, product improvement and quality control. Potential participants include persons working in production, product development and market. We recommend that 2-3 persons from each company attend the network meetings.
We plan to arrange 3-4 meetings, each lasting 1-2 days, over the course of one year. Each meeting consists of talks by professionals in the business, group exercises, practical exercises and exchanging experiences. Each company has access to expert guidance within the framework of the network. In order to gain the most from the network, the participating companies are expected to implement their new knowledge between each meeting. Experiences can then be discussed at the next meeting.
In order to gain the utmost benefit from the network, openness is a condition - but of course without revealing product recipes. We recommend that participating companies discuss their most relevant issues within the professional focus of the network before the network starts, so that each company can present their aims for taking part in the network.
Planned meetings (subject to change):
First meeting: 30 September and 1 October 2009
Second meeting: November 2009
Third meeting: February 2010
Summary meeting: May 2010
The dates for the second to fourth meetings will be set in cooperation with the participants.
- The fee includes materials, lunch/coffee at the meetings as well as the experts' hourly wages and travel expenses.
- Each participant must cover their own travel and board expenses.
- An invoice will be sent with the confirmation of participation in the network.
We can reserve accommodation if necessary when the meetings are held at Nofima Mat.
- Binding registration.
- Please send registrations and reservations of accommodation to Lily S. Rømcke.
- Final registration date: 28 August 2009