Ensuring welfare of farmed fish is part of European Union policy for sustainable aquaculture. Consumer surveys show that concerns about fish welfare are increasing, indicating that fish welfare will be an important feature of farmed salmon in the near future.
The project consists of three work packages (WP).
- In WP1 heritabilities of field survival in freshwater and seawater as well as genetic correlations with traits already selected for in Atlantic salmon will be estimated. The breeding company SalmoBreed contributes to this WP.
- In WP2, genetic parameters of social interactions (competition, aggressive behaviour) on welfare traits (growth, survival and fin damages) of Atlantic cod will be estimated by mixed model methodology.
- In WP3 methods to derive non-market values for welfare traits to be included in the breeding goal for Atlantic salmon will be developed by performing three studies about consumers attitudes towards fish welfare and their willingness to pay for products with improved fish welfare.
Selection response based on both economic values from the literature and non-market values estimated in this project will be discussed with actors in farm breeding, authorities, and animal welfare organizations to find how animal welfare in fish breeding should be emphasized versus higher farmer profit or lower prices to consumer.
Finally, we will optimize a salmon breeding program. The project will contribute knowledge about fish welfare traits for breeding, possibilities of undesirable/desirable genetic changes in fish welfare, and people's willingness to support genetic improvements of fish welfare traits.
This knowledge is important for deciding policies on fish welfare regulations and when considering breeding for fish welfare.
Publikasjonene under finner du under "Vedlegg" på høyre side:
- Vedlegg 1. B. B. Monsen, J. Ødegård, K. R. Arnesen, H. Toften, H. M. Nielsen, B. Damsgård, P. Bijma, I. Olesen. 2010. Genetics of Social Interactions in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Proceedings of the 9th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, August 1-6. 2010, Leipzig, Germany. CD-ROM 4 pp.
- Vedlegg 2. Olesen, I. Artikkel i Norsk fiskeoppdrett, 12-2010.
- Vedlegg 3. H. M. Nielsen. Resultat frå valeksperiment på EAAP kongressen i Stavanger
- Vedlegg 4. H. M. Nielsen på "Fish Breeders Round table" i Stavanger etter EAAP
- Vedlegg 5: K. Ellingsen. Artikkel i Argus, Avl for "gladere laks" - hva sier forbrukerne?